Thursday 18 November 2010

pretention for a purpose







It might seem like I'm just lusting after a punk aesthetic (which I am ... in the most romantic way) but this is a comment, an unresolved, unfinished comment about the world around me.

I am aware it looks kitsch with the the tackniess of the smashed quitar, red paint, splashed blood and cheeky "comment "...but this is the point. A comment on art. The world of art and YES "What has happened to art school?"

A throw a way remark, a judgement, an ideal, the past and the future but most importantly what it shoes is so what the comment isn't. Instead of judging the institution this is the institution. It becomes the art teacher, the art student, the art critic and art. Art for ARTS sake. Could a painting get more pretentious? A "profound" statement ( I say in jest) framed and sealed in the colour of blood on a prim white canvas... and hung in art school! Would this survive without it's surroundings? no!... the very fact is it can't escape the organisation and instead of rebelling IT IS.

The smashed guitar... creative destruction? ... or carefully placed and pretentious "art" the purpose... not to be rebellious but to comment on the past, the tacky and the informed.

This doesn't make me cool. It makes me the opposite. But the realisation is what takes this work on.

But still I question... what is education? And what is art school

No comments:

Post a Comment