Monday 30 May 2011

LOVE IS WHAT YOU WANT

 "Is Anal Sex Legal?
Is Legal Sex Anal?"

A visit to the current Tracey Emin exhibition  "Love is What  You Want" at The Hayward Gallery is, yet again, another must. I am not quite sure what expectations I went with. . . I always think the curation of any show at The Hayward is well done (far better than any TATE, Royal Academy e.t.c) and well covered; I generally like Tracey Emin's work, or at least don't have any strong opinions against what she does but I must admit I have come away an avid fan! The show was enticing, interesting, personal, colourful and heart warming!
  We all have our pre-conceptions of this artist. We know she uses distressing aspects of her life to create her art but this is with merit. Her pieces are not trashy but careful and tender. Some points are most certainly shocking but no pushiness comes across in construction. When looking at her work I did not feel she was showing off or shoving her life in my face. Her art was doing exactly what art should. Making me question my own life? Things personal to me? Or universal truths`?
  We all are affected by sex in some way or another. Sex and Love. Sex and Love. Sex and Love. You can't escape it. Of course I am writing from my own perspective. As a woman it is perhaps different from a man as motherhood or the possibility of motherhood comes in to the whole arena as well. Not that men are not involved in the creation create but perhaps they are more distant from the fear or the longing or whatever it is about the possibility of having a baby inside you. Sex . Love . And babies. The battle with our body. The battle with our mind. The battle as an artist. Creating art? What does it mean? Is there something wrong with my mind? These are all questions. Questions. Power. Questions.
 Yes it made me think.
 I admire her. I really do. She has worked hard. She is nearly 50. I like her smile. I like her smile. She looks warm and friendly. I like her writing. It is simple and clever and warming. Her art is real. But it is art. She knows this. Art makes me struggle ? Is there any point? Yes if it helps. Yes. Therapy for me. Or making the world think. Now this is about me...
See?
Middle class men (THE CRITICS) don't understand (read some of the reviews (by men)) They are sad and  jealous. CUNTS whatever CUNTS.
Love Is What You Want

Tracey Emin Running Naked With a Flag
I can't write a review. It is all about feelings. It made me feel a lot. Go see...

No comments:

Post a Comment