Tuesday 10 May 2011

When good feedback really counts...

This is one of those rare posts when I right about my course logistics (just so I will remember in the future) because it acts as some sort of review and because feedback is good. So today I got my results and marking back from my last unit... which I guess is the important one as it is the one that looks at my practice as an artist. My studio work, my research, my reflection... me as an artist.
I am not going to lie ... I was pleased with my work but sure I was going to FAIL. I love being at CSM, I really do but the way in which I work (as an artist) is the way in which I work. My studio is post modern (in my head and all around me) ... I don't work at college. I am unorganised so even though I visit millions of exhibition to be honest... recording this is not that important to me. I don't clearly present my work.. or at least I don't care about how it is marked in an academic way. I want to create. I don't really care about a GRADE or doing the best. However... when you do do well it does make you feel good :)
I passed with an excellent mark and here is some of my feedback : 

  • Very good research into a range of relevant contextual practice and theory.
  • Good experimentation with text, painting, video, that all explore a coherent set of concerns
  • Excellent presentation
  • Motivated and commited approach to work and excellent development during the year.
  • The personal and subjective nature of your work recentley processed through video and performance has proved really succesful particularly in the way it has provided you with detachment from your material.
  • Humour seems an important part in your work - this is great.
  • Continue exploring the role of performance in your practise and improve the technical grasp of the medium.
Anyway basically I want to point out the that good feedback actually makes me feel good. It makes me pleased that I am doing what I am doing as I do worry that my way of working is not right. 
The "review" will always be important and critic is vital to an artist. Positive and negative must be used to better ones work. Now I just want to be better :) 
I don't want to be perfect and I still don't care about essays but I care about my work.
I think I am just lucky to be part of CSM.

No comments:

Post a Comment