Monday 26 April 2010

a trick of the imagination

It is strange how what we imagine is completley affected by pre concieved thoughts.
I read A Clockwork Orange years ago before I saw the film. This therefore made the film wrong. If i had seen the film first then I would have just imagined it like the film. I am not saying what I thought was any more original. . .
. . . Set in a Dystopian future my mind autamatically set the scene in a Blade Runner/ V for Vendetta/ 1984 ( the film) kind of world. The speech... well was pronouced how I read it... the boys.. well i don't know but expect I had seen them before somwhere? I know what a snake looks like, I know what blood loks like... i have seen violence, rape ( not live) ..everything we see it seems has already planted in our minds. It maks me wonder can we ever be totally original? I think everyone knows the answer is no!
As an art student I am constantly being asked to come up with influences showing how I link this to my own work clearly and obviosly as a journey or a pattern.
It is pretty much a necessity to my course that I have to consciously copy themes or techniques... striving to be un original.
Does this bother me? I do not know. Everyone wants to be orignal ..but they always end up being so un! I think I am just happy to see things.

No comments:

Post a Comment