Wednesday 12 October 2011

Ethics in art: What it means to be a good artist? I just have to speak the truth.

What does it mean to be a "good" artist? I don't really think ethics is relevant.
If we think or believe that we are all (or should be)  morally structured and built in some pre - destined, generic and good way then to be a "good" artist can be a desire or an aim whatever "good" may mean? If we have a universal and internal demand to be "good" is this relevant to our practise? Is art part of the "ethical experience" and does this even exist? What if ones main goal is not to protect life?
   For me art can't really be given any ethical reasoning or at least any ethical responsibility. That is "my art" cannot. Art can be what it wants so there are no rules... I don't really want to protect any ethical cause or moral code with what I consider to be the most selfish part of my soul. Art can be "good" and it can "'do good" but first and foremost art just is. The art is just hanging there in space - because it's purpose is to exist  - this is not my desire to appeal to or help "the other human face" but a selfish internal drive disregarding of traditional morals or ethics. My art is born from a desire to exercise my mind, body and soul - a way to push everything out. I don't think the artist within us has a responsibility to the moral world. Wouldn't that be too pretentious?
  Yes art can focus on moral issues - we can be political, revolutionary, make a point, show a belief but art doesn't have to do any of this. And even if it tries it doesn't have to do it RIGHT. I'm pretty sure art can also be "bad" and who says it shouldn't be. Art is about a truth. The artist might disturb, be called sick, whatever... we never said we were going to do what our parents wanted. Our minds don't necessarily have to comply with what is considered humanly right. Morals are a bit stuck in the mud. Saying an artist should have an ethical responsibility could mean anything from they have to focus on recycling to spreading the "word of GOD!" Aren't we meant to be opening our minds. If i ditch convention I have to ditch ethics. Not to be evil or wrong. Just to absorb the world and learn things again. To be amoral means not to judge and we are all full of human faults. An artist doesn't have to hide them?
  Being ethical would surely mean tackling the big issues but wouldn't that make me a bit full of my own self importance. I don't even think I have a right to begin sharing things I don't fully understand. All I can project is my mind and what I see. I don't know whether that is "good".
  If "good" is a form of morality - this "goodness" cannot be responsible in the role of artist. We are not searching for completeness for the right reasons. Artists are selfish - not "bad" or "good". I make art. That is my role. . . but i could be doing something more "right!".
  All I am getting at is the truth. That is what I believe. My truth isn't necessarily yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment