Monday 4 April 2011

Gabriel OROZCO at the TATE MODERN


Black Kites 1997

"For me what is important is not what people see in the show.  It is what you see after... how your perception is changed." Gabriel Orozco


I am going to write about the piece above. Just because I can. It is a human skull marked with graphite pencil. The once living, now dead becomes "decorated" by the living. Something natural. Something real.
Orozco sees the skull as an emblem of death. I have been interested in skulls for a long time. I am not sure if I see them as death anymore. Maybe time. Nature. Existence. It is all part of a cycle of the living. Maybe the soul lives on?
I think this is beautiful. I don't know whether it is wrong. What would the person think about having his/her skull drawn on.
It makes me think about the action of living. The life of the being. The life of the artist. What exactly are we trying to achieve?







No comments:

Post a Comment